How to Grow Acer saccharinum Plants in your Garden
Gardener's HQ Guide to Growing Silver Maple
Acer saccharinum (silver maple tree in fall colors) photograph by James St. John, CC.
Acer saccharinum, the Silver Maple by yetdark, CC.
Acer saccharinum Growing and Care Guide
- Scientific Name: Acer saccharinum
- Common Name: Silver maple
- Growing Zone: USA: 3 to 9
- Life Cycle / Plant Type: Tree
- Plant Height (Inches): 720 to 840
- Plant Spread (Inches): 600 to 900
- Time of Bloom: Spring
- Flower Details: Red
- Leaf Foliage: Green
- Growth Form: Rounded tree
Ideal Growing Conditions
- Best Light Conditions: Partially shady to full sunlight
- Rate of Growth: Quick
- Suitable Soil Types: Acidic, Clay, Loamy, Neutral, Sandy, Well drained
- Soil Moisture: Wet
- Level of Maintenance: Low
- Propagation: Seed or grafting
- How to Prune: Requires little to no pruning. In some cases hard pruning can be disruptive.
- Pests: Aphids and horse chestnut scale are sometimes a problem
- Diseases: Usually disease free but Verticillium wiltcan be problematic
- Can Attract:
- Tolerant of: Drought, Air Pollution
- Best Garden Use: In the control of erosion, Firewood, , Woodland garden
- Genus Detail: Acer
- Further Reading and References: Here and Here
- Family: Sapindaceae
- Closely Related Family Members: Red maple; Norway maple; Field maple; Balloon Vine; and Chinese flowering chestnut.
- Miscellaneous: Entices birdlife to the garden, North American native, Naturalizing