How to Grow Athyrium filix-femina Plants in your Garden
Gardener's HQ Guide to Growing Lady Fern
Athyrium x 'Ghost' hybrid of Athyrium filix-femina and Athyrium niponicum photograph by K M.
Athyrium filix-femina Growing and Care Guide
- Scientific Name: Athyrium filix-femina
- Common Name: Lady fern
- Growing Zone: USA: 3 to 8
- Life Cycle / Plant Type: Fern
- Plant Height (Inches): 24 to 30
- Plant Spread (Inches): 30 to 36
- Time of Bloom:
- Flower Details:
- Leaf Foliage: Green
- Growth Form: Irregular / Sprawling
Ideal Growing Conditions
- Best Light Conditions: shade to partial shade partial sun
- Rate of Growth: Average pace
- Suitable Soil Types: Loamy, Neutral, Well drained
- Soil Moisture: Moist/Wet
- Level of Maintenance: Low
- Propagation: Sowing spores in mid to late summer or by division in spring
- How to Prune: Dead or damaged fronds may be removed as necessary
- Pests: Usually pest free out of doors
- Diseases: Usually pest free outdoors
- Can Attract:
- Tolerant of: Rabbit, Heavy Shade
- Best Garden Use: Border, Container, Foundation, Ground cover, En masse , Woodland garden
- Family: Athyriaceae.
- Closely Related Species: Ladyferns.
- Miscellaneous: Attractive foliage, Naturalizing, Wetlands plant
- Genus Detail: Athyrium
- Further Reading and References: Here and Here
I hope that you enjoyed this guide on how to grow Athyrium filix-femina. You may also enjoy the following Gardener's HQ growing guides: How to grow Buphthalmum and Bellis plants.