How to Grow Xanthoceras sorbifoliu Plants in your Garden
Gardener's HQ Guide to Growing Shinyleaf Yellowhorn
Psgan yellowhorn (Xanthoceras sorbifolium 'Psgan') photograph by Andrey Zharkikh.
Xanthoceras sorbifolium Growing and Care Guide
- Scientific Name: Xanthoceras sorbifolium
- Common Name: Shinyleaf yellowhorn, yellowhorn, shiny leaf yellowhorn, goldenhorn, Chinese flowering chestnut
- Growing Zone: USA: 4 to 7
- Life Cycle / Plant Type: Tree
- Plant Height (Inches): 300 to 480
- Plant Spread (Inches): 300 to 480
- Time of Bloom: Spring
- Flower Details: White, purplish tinge
- Leaf Foliage: Green
- Growth Form: Rounded
Ideal Growing Conditions
- Best Light Conditions: Partially shady to full sunlight
- Rate of Growth: Medium paced
- Suitable Soil Types: Acidic, Alkaline, Clay, Loamy, Neutral, Sandy, Slightly alkaline, Well drained
- Soil Moisture:
- Level of Maintenance: Low
- Propagation: Seed, Root cuttings,from Rooted suckers
- How to Prune: Require little or no pruning and in fact may be spoilt by harder pruning
- Pests: Usually pest free
- Diseases: Leaf spot
- Can Attract:
- Tolerant of: Drought
- Best Garden Use: As this flowering tree is small and often shrub-like it is great to grow as a background plant or as a border plant for large lawns. It can also look good as an edging for patios.
- Family: Sapindaceae
- Closely Related Species: Maples, Horse Chestnut, Lychee.
- Miscellaneous: Is not a native plant of N. America, Fragrant flowers, Blooms are very showy
- Genus Detail: Xanthoceras
- Further Reading and References: Here and Here
I hope that you enjoyed this guide on how to grow Xanthoceras sorbifoliu. You may also enjoy the following Maple tree growing guides: How to grow Paperbark maple and Box elder.