How to Grow Aleurites moluccana Plants in your Garden
Gardener's HQ Guide to Growing Candlenut Tree / Balucanat
Aleurites moluccana (Kukui, kukui nut) photograph by Forest and Kim Starr.
Aleurites moluccana Growing and Care Guide
- Scientific Name: Aleurites moluccana or Aleurites moluccanus
- Common Name: Balucanat, Candlenut Tree, Kekuna Tree, Candleberry, Indian Walnut, Kemiri, Varnish tree, and Kukui Nut Tree
- Growing Zone: USA: 9 to 11
- Life Cycle / Plant Type: Tree
- Plant Height (Inches): 420 to 720
- Plant Spread (Inches): 420 to 600
- Time of Bloom: Spring
- Flower Details: White
- Leaf Foliage: Green
- Growth Form: Rounded
Ideal Growing Conditions
- Best Light Conditions: Partially shady to full sunlight
- Rate of Growth: Quick
- Suitable Soil Types: Acidic, Clay, Loamy, Neutral, Sandy, Slightly alkaline, Well drained
- Soil Moisture: Moist
- Level of Maintenance:
- Propagation: Seed
- How to Prune:
- Can Attract:
- Tolerant of:
- Best Garden Use: Seashore, Specimen
- Family: Euphorbiaceae.
- Closely Related Species: Spurge.
- Miscellaneous: Non-native to North America, Invasive, Some parts are poisonous, Attractive flowers / blooms
- Genus Detail: Aleurites
- Further Reading and References: Here and Here
I hope that you enjoyed this guide on how to grow Aleurites moluccana. You may also enjoy the following Gardener's HQ growing guides: How to grow Ricinus and Euphorbia plants.