How to Grow Helianthemum nummularium Plants in your Garden
Gardener's HQ Guide to Growing Common Rock Rose
The Helianthemum nummularium plant is an evergreen that is native of Europe. This plant has a trailing nature.
It carries yellow or pink saucer shaped flowers in late spring and the start of summer; these look quite similar to roses, hence their common name of 'rock-rose'.
Helianthemum photograph by Leonora (Ellie) Enking.
The plants like an alkaline dry environment and are natively found on chalk downs.
Flowers only last for one day, but as the plant carries a multitude of flowers it stays in bloom for a couple of months.
This is a great plant to grow if you want to attract bees to the garden as the rock-rose is a rich source of nectar. The leaves also act as food source that attracts butterflies, moths, and beetles to the garden.
These can make great ground cover in south facing gardens that are exposed to a lot of sun.
Space at about 2.5 inches (8 cm) if growing as cover.
Learn more about the Helianthemum Plant genus.
Helianthemum nummularium Video Growing Guide
Quick Growing and Care Guide
- Scientific Name: Helianthemum nummularium
- Common Name (s): Common Rock Rose, Rock-rose, Flower of the sun
- Growing Zone (USA / UK Hardiness): 5 to 7 / H5
- Life Cycle / Plant Type: Evergreen shrub
- Plant Height: 6 to 12 inches (15 to 30 cm)
- Plant Spread: 24 to 36 inches (60 to 90 cm)
- Blooms: Late Spring and early summer
- Flower Details: Yellow, pale pink, deep red. Five petals. Rose like. Saucer shaped. Short-lived.
- Leaf Foliages: Paired. Lance shaped. Grey-green. Up to 2 inches long (6 to 10 cm)
- Best Light Conditions: Full sun
- Suitable Soil Types: Sandy, rocky, chalky
- Suitable Soil pH: Alkaline
- Soil Soil Moisture: Dry
- Sowing, planting, and Propagation:
- Care: Winter mulch in cooler areas. Shear to encourage further growth and to maintain shape following blooming.
- Best used for: Ground cover. South facing garden.
- Family: Cistaceae
- Miscellaneous: An individual flower only blooms for one day. Blooming period for up to two months. Synonym: Cistus helianthemum. Rich in nectar that attracts bees to the garden.
- Further Reading and References used: Wikipedia; MBG
I hope that you enjoyed this guide on how to grow Helianthemum nummularium plants. You may also enjoy the following Gardener's HQ growing guides: How to grow Knotweed, Crambe, and Buphthalmum plants.