How to Grow Ailanthus altissima Plants in your Garden
Gardener's HQ Guide to Growing Tree of Heaven
tree-of-heaven (Ailanthus altissima) photograph by NatureServe.
Ailanthus altissima Growing and Care Guide
- Scientific Name: Ailanthus altissima
- Common Name: Tree of heaven
- Growing Zone: USA: 5 to 8
- Life Cycle / Plant Type: Tree
- Plant Height (Inches): 600 to 900
- Plant Spread (Inches): 420 to 600
- Time of Bloom: spring
- Flower Details: Green
- Leaf Foliage: Green
- Growth Form: Upright / erect
Ideal Growing Conditions
- Best Light Conditions: partial shade, partial sun to full sun
- Rate of Growth: Quick
- Suitable Soil Types: Acidic, Adaptable, Alkaline, Clay, Loamy, Neutral, Sandy, Slightly alkaline, Well drained
- Soil Moisture: Moist
- Level of Maintenance:
- Propagation: Seed
- How to Prune: Requires little to no pruning. In some cases hard pruning can be disruptive.
- Pests: Usually pest free
- Diseases: Usually pest free
- Can Attract:
- Tolerant of:
- Best Garden Use:
- Family: Simaroubaceae.
- Closely Related Species: Quassia, Simarouba.
- Miscellaneous: Pest tolerant, Aggressive surface roots possible, Non-native to North America, Invasive, Attractive flowers / blooms
- Genus Detail: Ailanthus
- Further Reading and References: Here and The deciduous Tree-of-Heaven
I hope that you enjoyed this guide on how to grow Ailanthus altissima. You may also enjoy the following Gardener's HQ growing guides for Bonsei species: How to grow Zanthoxylum simulans and Ginkgo biloba plants.